Our one week in French Polynesia was our best winter escape ever! The weather was perfect; only rained one afternoon throughout the one week. I usually had no luck in terms of weather but this time was definitely the best to start a new year. Seeing the overwater bungalows on the cover of magazines was jaw-dropping gorgeous but being actually there was mind-blowing! There are places that I have visited that was below expectation but French Polynesia was definitely way above expectation (except for Vaitape, the main town in Bora Bora). I usually afraid going to a small island we will be trapped in the resort and bored by the 3rd day but ended up we spent the most time taking photos and videos that one week was not enough! Here is the video I put together of our unforgettable French Polynesia trip:
Background music: Maps – Maroon 5, the video is for sharing our vacation clips in French Polynesia purpose only, we do not make any profit from it and it’s not for promotional purpose 🙂
Summary of Expenses:
French Polynesia, especially Bora Bora, is known for being a luxury destination. I was well prepared for the expensive food but to be honest, it was not as outrageous as I thought it would be. Of course it was not reasonable but I looked at it as I pay for the ultimate view, here’s the summary of expenses – food and activites:
|Hilton Moorea||Lunch||5530 xpf|
|Hilton Moorea Crepe Bar||Dinner||5280 xpf|
|Hilton Moorea Take Out||Lunch||2290 xpf|
|4×4 Safari Tour||Tour||5000 xpf per person|
|Le Sands at hotel||Dinner||10000 xpf|
|Matira Snack||Lunch||3600 xpf cash only|
|Bloody Mary’s||Dinner||11850 xpf|
|Raanui Tours Lagoon Snorkeling + Motu||Snorkeling + Lunch||12000 xpf per person cash only|
|Mai Kai||Dinner||12000 xpf|
|Le Sands||Lunch||6000 xpf|
|Le Reef at hotel – Polynesian Show||Dinner||16000 xpf|
|Le Sands||Lunch||6500 xpf|
What would I definitely do again on the next trip back to French Polynesia?
- I would definitely revisit Moorea and Bora Bora!
- Definitely will stay at Hilton Moorea again because of free breakfast, beautiful grounds, and excellent snorkeling off our overwater bungalow.
- Will stay at Intercontinental Bora Bora Resort and Thalasso Spa again if we have points. If have to pay in full with cash then depending on the price but will stay at the motu for the view of the lagoon and mountain peak.
- Will travel in low season again to avoid the crowds, we really enjoyed the almost empty resort – great for photos without others getting into the picture!
What would I do differently on the next trip back to French Polynesia?
- Stay more than a week (two weeks if I can afford it haha), will get the BORA BORA-TUAMOTU PASS from Air Tahiti to visit more islands: Moorea, Huahine, Raiatea, Bora Bora, Rangiroa, and Tikehau.
- Extra days in Moorea to visit the Lagoonarium, its town, and rent a car to drive around the island.
- Bring more long maxi dresses if Chikungunya is still an issue.
- I brought 1 bottle of insect repellent for the one week trip and definitely was not enough, thankfully we bought an extra bottle in Vaitape.
- At least two snorkeling tours in Bora Bora, I’ll not hesitate to join Raanui Tours again and will book Reef Discovery.
- No need to bring our own fins and life jacket since tours have them to save room for snacks and clothes.
- Better underwater camera for still photos, GoPro only good for videos.